Pages

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Another wee stone

I revealed a little of my passion for wee curling stones here, and here, and today I want to share with you my excitement of a new addition to my collection. That's it above, a gift from a friend (name withheld to avoid embarrassment, but many thanks to her) who, on hearing of my wee stone collection, has sent me this unusual example.

Now, I have wee stones in a variety of sizes and shapes, and made of granite, marble, other types of stone, ceramic, glass, silver, brass, copper, stainless steel, iron, pewter, wood, plastic, coal, leather, candlewax, modelling clay and polystyrene. The purchase of a gold one has been awaiting a win on the Lottery for many years. I did have wee stones made of marzipan and chocolate. I say 'did', because the temptation to eat these was just too great. And very nice they were too! And if you want to try the latter, you can find them here.

I've really no idea how many wee curling stones are in the 'national collection'! I realised it was getting out of hand when the local library in Lockerbie asked me to fill a display case with some examples as part of a 'celebrate curling' exhibit. I did so, and even lending out 30-40 stones made hardly a dent in the collection in the cabinets at home - I did not notice any were missing. Friends look after much of the original collection. I stopped buying on Ebay last year, or I would have had to buy a bigger house!

For many years I've toyed with the idea of a museum devoted entirely to small representations of curling stones. Enthusiasts would come from all over the world... to the virtual museum online. We could set up a Charitable Trust, and elect trustees. Start fundraising and apply to national bodies for support. Perhaps not. Or we could make it a commercial operation, with an online shop. A rescue service for unloved and uncared for wee stones? A weekly newsletter. A blog! Facebook, Twitter. Sounds like a project for when I decide to (fully) retire!

But back to the new addition. It's made of wool and has been knitted! It was likely made as a table or Christmas decoration, in Latvia. Wonderful, wonderful. It has made me smile every time I've looked at it this week. And I hope it makes you smile too! Now, if I can just get hold of the pattern...

Here are a few examples of wee curling stones.

Pics © Skip Cottage