Pages

Friday, October 15, 2010

Curling memorabilia

I undertook (here) to keep everyone up to date on what was happening with Charles Lees's painting of the Grand Match at Linlithgow. I'm pleased to be able to say that a small sub-committee of the RCCC Areas Standing Committee, headed up by past president Bill Marshall with Jim Jamieson and Alan Sloan, has been charged with looking to the future of the painting. I am aware that these three are working hard on this. I look forward to publishing more details of their efforts when I am able to do so.

Just the mention of this most valuable item of curling's heritage, prompts me to highlight something from the video archive that I've been able to uncover this week. Not a clip from a championship this time! In 2005, BBC's Flog It programme featured David B Smith showing Paul Martin, the programme's presenter, something of his collection of curling memorabilia. I've put the link to this on the Curling History blog. So go here if you would like to hear about a gorilla throwing a loofie, see decorated curling stones, and wonder at the smallest 'wee curling stone' you've ever seen!

Clicking on the image below takes you to the post too.

This screenshot is from the Flog It clip. The link is in the Curling History blog here.