Pages

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The sport loses another

As I travel around the various curling rinks in Scotland, I meet a lot of people. Many take time to chat to me, and over the years as I get to know people, I've grown to enjoy these encounters. Some, like Dr John Fyfe, a retired Perthshire GP, were interested not just in what I'm doing now, but also in my previous life as a clinical bichemistry lecturer. He was a kind and sympathetic man, as well as an interesting person.

Last time I met John he was watching his granddaughter compete in an U-17 event at the Dewar's Centre. He was recovering from a fall he had had on the ice during a game. I was saddened to learn this afternoon that he had died on Saturday.

There's more about Dr John Fyfe, from his son Neil, in the People Page above, or click here. My thoughts, and yours too I'm sure, are with his family at this time.

The photo is courtesy of Neil Fyfe and shows John after the 2008 Four Nations event at Greenacres.