Pages

Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is

Having been confined indoors far too much recently, I've become appalled by the quality of daytime television. Mind you, I'm now somewhat of an antiques expert, having watched at various times Cash in the Attic, Flog It, Bargain Hunt, Antiques Roadshow, Antiques Road Trip, Celebrity Road Trip, Antiques Master, and Dickinson's Real Deal, to name but a few!

You might think that I would be fed up with such programmes by now, but I'm worried I've become an addict. So there I was yesterday evening, glued to Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is. In this teatime BBC programme, two experts from the world of antiques go head-to-head to raise money for a charity of their choice, by buying antiques and collectibles in a different location each day and selling them on in some way or other at a profit. In yesterday's episode, which was a repeat of a programme first broadcast in June last year, Philip Serrell took on David Harper to see who could make the most money from antiques bought from Swinderby antiques fair. Swinderby is near Lincoln.

Antiques expert Philip Serrell (above) bought a pair of curling stones at the fair for £110, and his purchase came in for some derisory comments from David Harper. Now, I just wish I could find curling stones for sale at this price! I wonder how they found their way to Lincolnshire? There was a lot of discussion about what one could do with such stones. Make them into standard lamp bases was one suggestion. Door stops, another. Actual playing with them on outside ice did not get much credence. Mind you, we had only had one severe winter when this programme was made. Now we've had two in a row.

Phillip sold the stones on for £180 to another dealer. Still a very reasonable price, I would suggest. The stones looked to be Burnock Waters with rather nice brass handles. They were missing their stone washers.

You can watch the programme on the BBC iPlayer here until Monday, November 14.

I imagine that many of you reading this have your own outside stones. Have you got them out of store yet, and given them a little winter service? Will you be ready when the call comes? Just don't mention the words 'Grand Match'!

Which leads me to ask. Is there anyone out there who is looking for a good set of curling stones which they can use on outside ice should the opportunity arise this winter? Drop me an email if you are in the market for a pair.

Images are screenshots from the BBC iPlayer.