Pages

Friday, June 04, 2010

Scottish Curler to fold, again

I came home this evening to the news that the Scottish Curler magazine is to cease publication. Helena Morrow, the magazine's MD, has written to all the correspondents to say that, despite best efforts, the Scottish Curler falls short of revenues required to make it a viable business proposition in today's media environment.

I edited the magazine for seven years when it was produced by the Dunfermline arm of Clyde and Forth Press. Especially in the latter years of my tenure I was made very aware of the difficult financial position of the magazine. When the call came early in 2009 that the decision had been made no longer to produce the magazine in print, I was disappointed, but not surprised. I was not willing to continue with just some sort of electronic magazine, and so I made the decision to retire as Editor. Efforts were made to find another publisher, initially without success, see here.

My reaction was one of delight, as well as some surprise, when I learned that Helena and her team at Ardrossan took on the publishing of the magazine (here). I offered to do the 'junior beat' for the team, and the Looking Back feature every month, and I enjoyed that challenge last season.

Helena has indicated that the magazine witnessed an increase in circulation and a growth in advertising in the past year, but that apparently has not been sufficient to allow it to continue. The Souvenir Edition from the Curling Awards dinner, due out soon, will be the last edition from Clyde and Forth Press.