Pages

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Armchair Olympics 16

I was thrilled to see Sweden win the Olympic Gold. It was a great game to watch, full of drama right to the last stone of an extra end! I've met skip Anette Norberg, third Eva Lund, second Cathrine Lindahl and lead Anna Le Moine a number of times in the past seven years and I've always been impressed by them. Greatest women's curling team ever - I'm right behind The Curling News with that assessment, see here.

Mind you, other great women's curling teams have come out of Sweden. I will always remain a big fan of Elisabeth Hogstrom and her team - I was just beginning to write about curling when Bettan was winning Europeans and Worlds in the early 80s. Then of course there was Elisabet Gustafson in the 90s. Another great Swedish skip/team.

But with two sets of Olympic gold medals, the Norberg team are the greatest, no question. Congratulations to them. To beat the home team, in Canada, in front of such a partisan crowd, many ignorant of the behaviour expected at say, a world championship, was a huge achievement, and sweet to watch.

I haven't been as emotional at 2.00 in the morning for many years!

The report of the game is here.

Photo by Alex Livesey/Getty Images © VANOC