Pages

Thursday, February 03, 2011

Looking ahead to the National Schools

I started my own curling with my school curling club. OK, it was a LONG time ago. But schools' curling is alive and well, although perhaps we don't pay enough attention to it, given that it is an important development strand for the sport. Let me ask you a question. How many schools have entered at least one team for this season's Scottish Schools Championship?

The finals of the National Schools will be held this season at Forfar Indoor Sports, March 18-20. The top twenty-four teams will take part then. But how many have been playing off recently for a place at the final weekend. I must admit that I did not know. The answer can be found here. Thirty-five schools have entered a total of forty-three teams. (Sadly, my old alma mater is not represented, and I find that a bit sad, but I digress.)

I was prompted to write this when I received a short report and photo from Kinross. The final round robin of the Kinross curling rink area Scottish Schools pre-qualifier was held in Kinross last Sunday, January 30. Three places were up for grabs to qualify for the Scottish Schools final weekend. ACDO David Jones writes, "It was great to see four local schools challenging this year and the eventual pre-qualifier winners, and also winners of the Green Hotel trophy, were Beath High School.

A very high standard of curling was shown throughout the games and joining Beath High School in Forfar are Bell Baxter High School and Dollar Academy. We wish them every success when they attend Forfar."

L-R: Dean Rae, Drew Thomson, Grant Barr and Fraser Thomson, skip, Beath High School.

Thanks to David Jones for the report and to Diane Bell/Elaine Spain, Kinross Curling School, for the photo.